PORT-AU-PRINCE, Jan 13 (Reuters) - Tens of thousands of people are feared dead in Haiti's catastrophic earthquake, buried beneath demolished schools, hospitals and homes, and traumatized citizens mill in streets strewn with rubble and scattered bodies.
* Destruction in capital "massive and broad." Tens -- maybe hundreds -- of thousands of homes destroyed, U.N. mission says.
* U.N. says at least 16 members of its 9,000-strong peacekeeping mission killed. Haiti president says mission chief Hedi Annabi among dead.
* Pentagon sending nuclear-powered aircraft carrier and three amphibious ships, including one that can carry up to 2,000 Marines.
* U.S. Defense Secretary Gates cancels plans to fly to Australia for bilateral talk. Hillary Clinton cancels visit to the South Pacific.
* World Bank pledges additional $100 million. U.N. says $10 million to be released immediately from central emergency response fund.
"Up to now, I heard 50,000 ... 30,000 (dead)." -- Haitian President Rene Preval
"Please take me out, I am dying. I have two children with me." -- Woman under a collapsed kindergarten in the Canape-Vert area of the capital
"The reality of what we are seeing is severe traumas, head wounds, crushed limbs, severe problems that cannot be dealt with with the level of medical care we currently have available with no infrastructure really to support it." -- Paul McPhun, operations manager for the group's Canadian section
"There was so much hope about Haiti's future, hope that had not been present for years. And along comes Mother Nature and just flattens them" -- U.S. Secretary of State Clinton
CENTER FOR INTERNATIONAL DISASTER INFORMATION
Live Blog from Reuter's AlertNet
Twitter feed for Help Haiti
At this point relief agencies most need cash donations. Some charities that are accepting donations for the Haiti relief effort:
INTERNATIONAL ORTHODOX CHRISTIAN CHARITIES
Checking Out the Charities and Relief agencies.
There will be a lot of hands being held out for help. Here's one way to see if your donation's well's spent.